Just a Word about Mold...
- Category: Mold
- Created on Monday, 27 July 2015 15:36
- Written by SEMC Admin
Many people think that having a mold problem means they are allergic to mold. While this is a common issue, especially here in the south, the true illness of mold appears in people who are genetically susceptible to the toxic and inflammatory response to molds in the environment. Most notable of these are the molds found indoors, which can recirculate constantly. Any house that has had moisture intrusion or humidity that is not well controlled below 44% may be at risk of developing levels of indoor mold that are higher than acceptable. As molds reproduce, they create chemicals known as mycotoxins, and these chemicals are what often induce many of the symptoms one may read about in discussions of toxic molds.
Effective treatment of mold-related illness has two vital components. The first is making sure that the home environment is as free of mold as possible. Once this source of infection has been eliminated, the second part is determining specifically what each person needs to lower levels of inflammation and toxicity.
Toxicity and inflammation from mold can affect almost every organ system of the body and may result in a multitude of symptoms, including headache, dizziness, change in taste or smell, erratic variations in heart rate and blood pressure, sudden episodes of bloating or gastrointestinal distress, musculoskeletal aches and pains, pain or crawling sensations on the extremities, and vertigo.